Word Walk Lead Writer Roles
We are putting the Po into Nottingham Poetry Festival with POsitivity and POsitioning as we prepare for our next festival in May 2022 which places our local communities at the centre.
As part of our ongoing outreach programme the Nottingham Poetry Festival team is recruiting five Lead Writers to facilitate our upcoming Word Walk series – outdoor creative writing workshops for invited local community groups who may be beginners to poetry. The series of walks aims to reduce barriers to participation in poetic activity, encourage awareness of the festival, and create opportunities to engage with the festival in May 2022.
For each event, we are asking up to 30 participants to creatively respond to the environment around them. With the Lead Writers’ prompts, assistance and leadership, we will host each group for up to two hours per session. Each session will take place in a different area of Nottingham.
At the end of each Word Walk, the Nottingham Poetry Festival team will gather up two pieces of work per participant, to create a publication for launch at the 2022 Festival in May.
Lead Writer positions will be contracted on a freelance basis and are open to poets living, working or studying in the East Midlands area. The fee for each Lead Writer is £150 inclusive of travel and planning. Dates for Word Walks will be between November 2021 and March 2022.
The Lead Writer will be supported by a shadow writer and a member of the NPF team. Each walk will have been risk assessed by NPF and locations may be changed according to weather and/or Covid restrictions. Word Walks will be open to participants 18 and above, although under 18s may attend if accompanied by an adult. Word Walks are up to 2 hours in duration. All equipment will be provided by NPF.
Closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 31 October.
Applications should be made by filling out the following form:
Alternatively, your application can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with Lead Writer in the subject header, including:
- CV outlining your experience (PDF or Word Doc)
- a covering letter addressing the requirements listed below and why you would like to be considered for the role. (PDF or Word Doc, no more than 500 words)
On Saturday 13 November, 1pm – 3pm, Nottingham Poetry Festival is hosting a Word Walk for potential Lead Writers. The Word Walk will start at Nottingham Writers’ Studio, where participants will receive training for facilitating this type of workshop. We will go on to explore and respond to Sneinton Market. It is strongly recommended that you attend this session if you would like to be considered for a Lead Writer position. Please only attend the workshop following an invitation from the Nottingham Poetry Festival team.
Our Lead Writers will be poets or creative writers, who have
- experience of working with community groups
- experience of leading workshops with mixed ability groups
- understanding of working with a shadow writer
- a flexible outlook and working practice
- the ability to reflect on/evaluate sessions
- willingness to be an ambassador for Nottingham Poetry Festival
- an understanding of safe working practice when engaging with the public
- be able to attend the Word Walk on Saturday 13 November 1pm-3pm
- have public liability insurance